Network News – February 20, 2014
- Leading medical organizations release "Dear Colleague" letter that urges healthcare professionals to promote HPV vaccination
- Voices for Vaccines to host fundraiser
- National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit requests nominations for its 2014 Immunization Excellence Awards; deadline is March 25
- Agenda for the National Conference on Immunization and Health Coalitions now available
Leading medical organizations release "Dear Colleague" letter that urges healthcare professionals to promote HPV vaccination
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), American College of Physicians (ACP), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) recently released a "Dear Colleague" letter that encourages providers to promote HPV vaccination.
Despite more than seven years of vaccine monitoring showing overwhelming evidence of HPV vaccine safety and effectiveness, HPV vaccination rates are not improving while rates for other adolescent vaccines are. Health provider recommendations are the key to increasing HPV vaccination rates. By improving the strength and consistency of HPV vaccination recommendations, more patients will be protected from HPV-associated cancers and disease.
The letter gives providers key facts about HPV-associated disease and HPV vaccine safety and effectiveness to help them discuss HPV vaccination confidently with patients and parents. Please share this important document with all healthcare professionals who provide vaccines to adolescents and young adults.
- “Dear Colleague” Letter: Give a strong recommendation for HPV vaccine to increase uptake!
- Joint press release: Leading Medical and Public Health Organizations Join Efforts Urging Physicians to Strongly Recommend Human papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination
- AAP Press Room: Leading Medical and Public Health Organizations Join Efforts Urging Physicians to Strongly Recommend Human papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination
- AAFP News Now: Strong Recommendation to Vaccinate Against HPV Is Key to Boosting Uptake
- Accelerating HPV Vaccine Uptake: Urgency for Action to Prevent Cancer. A Report to the President of the United States from the President’s Cancer Panel.
For more HPV-related resources for healthcare providers and their patients, and sample drop-in text for newsletters and Facebook posts to promote the "Dear Colleague" letter, please see the IAC Express article from February 18.
Back to top
Voices for Vaccines to host fundraiser
To celebrate its success and gear up for the future, Voices for Vaccines (VFV) is holding its fundraiser "Something to Talk About: VFV Benefit Party and Silent Auction" on April 11 at the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. Even if you are unable to attend the event, you can participate by sponsoring the event. See www.voicesforvaccines.org/event for more information.
Voices for Vaccines is a national organization of parents and others who are dedicated to raising the level of the voices of immunization supporters. VFV invites everyone who appreciates vaccines to join their organization. Please spread the word to your friends and colleagues!
National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit requests nominations for its 2014 Immunization Excellence Awards; deadline is March 25
The National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit (NAIIS) is soliciting candidates for the 2014 NAIIS Immunization Excellence Awards. The awards recognize individuals and organizations that have made extraordinary contributions toward improved vaccination rates within their communities during 2013. The deadline for nominations is March 25 (due by close of business).
A national winner and possibly an honorable mention recipient will be selected for each award category. The winners will be presented with their awards at the NAIIS meeting, to be held May 13–15, in Atlanta. The national winner in each category will be invited to present at the meeting.
There are five categories of recognition:
- Overall Flu Season Activities
- Healthcare Personnel Campaign
- "Immunization Neighborhood" Champion
- Adult Immunization Champion
- Corporate Campaign
Agenda for the National Conference on Immunization and Health Coalitions now available
The agenda is now available for the 11th National Conference on Immunization and Health Coalitions, which will be held in Seattle, May 21–23, 2014. This conference is a unique opportunity to network with colleagues and learn up-to-date immunization and coalition building skills.
Registration is now open for the conference.
Back to top